So, the big day has arrived. The moving van is outside, there are endless boxes piled up in the hallway, did you remember to pack your favorite shoes? And the cat, what about the cat?! Moving day can be stressful, to say the least, but there are many tips and tricks you can use to save the hassle and pack like a pro. Move into your dream home stress-free.
Before you start
Leaving everything the day before the move is a common mistake. Consider what you don’t need rather than what you do, what items will need delicate care and that you are covered for breakages, spillages and the mess that comes with moving house.
- Have a spring clean! Moving house is the perfect opportunity to clear out any belongings you no longer want or need.
- Storage space – in three simple steps; find your perfect location, reserve a room, pack and move in. Home storage can be a lifesaver.
- Get boxes in advance and calculate how many you will need.
Let’s be honest. Unpacking everything the first day is unrealistic, so it’s worth deciding what you will need immediate access to soon after you move into your new home.
- Pack an essentials box for the first night and keep it with you. Fill it with things like coffee, snacks, cups, cutlery and even a kettle as these items will be the first things you reach for soon after you arrive.
- Prepare an overnight bag for the family. Ensure there are enough toiletries for everyone (these can also go into your essential box!)
- Other handy items that should be kept close to hand include a first-aid kit, a torch, plastic bags and paper and pens.
It’s beneficial to spend some time considering how you are going to go about packing. Your possessions all need different care. Things such as books are easy to pack but heavy, ornaments and valuables need more attention, furniture may need to be dismantled.
- Start as you mean to go on. Packing always takes longer than expected, especially when the old photos come out, so start early, stay organized and get into a good system.
- It’s always a useful idea to start at either the top or bottom and work your way in the opposite direction
- Heavier items can be packed in smaller boxes to make moving them easier
- One room at a time! Packing room by room will help you stay organized, labeling each box is another great way to make unpacking a lot smoother. Also using your trusted Leatherman Wave multi-tool whilst unpacking the boxes will make things easier.
- Pack important documents together (birth certificates, marriage documents, passports) and keep them safe.
By following these tactical techniques, moving into your new home should become less of a nightmare and more of a dream come true. But if you’re still looking for your dream home take a look at reasons why it’s smart to have a smart home to help you make your decision.